quitting smokin'!

Deeann M.M. Mikula deeann at d33ann.com
Fri Mar 10 14:58:46 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Jeremy David wrote:

> But the way that worked for me was: Don't Smoke Anymore.
>
> If I can do it, you can do it! Keep up the good work!

Dude, everyone we know is quitting smoking, it's so weird.  Arvin,
Boo, me, you, and now Gwen.  Of course, hell will freeze over before
RayE quits, but that's fine.  Someone has to remain the same as I
remember them.

The method that worked for me: I woke up one morning, I was behind in
homework, had an exam in 2 days, had no food in the house that week,
had been blown off my friends with significant others all weekend, was
moping over a boy myself, had just gotten a delay in my finacial aid
decision again...as I went to light another cigarette, I thought,
"Jesus fucking Christ, I couldn't possibly get any more miserable, I
may as well quit smoking today, too."

So I did.  Cold turkey.  No cravings, just a perverse joy in the
realization that I was torturing myself by denying myself something I
wanted.  3 weeks, 4 days, and an embarassing amount of money saved.  I
even managed to smoke a few with a friend in a "lets get really
trashed in your kitchen" night, and then not want to smoke the next
day, proving that I can occasionally have a few and not fall back off
the wagon. (On the wagon?  I can never remember how that goes.)

http://www.d33ann.com/quitter.html
(You can get your own at www.quitmeter.com, it's free!)

Deeann "Willpower of Steel"  Mikula

"Well behaved women rarely make history."
                 -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich