quittin' smoking

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 11:24:30 EST 2006

As a formerly card carrying Libertarian (I still hold many libertarian
ideas, but I no longer have the card) I support public smoking bans
due to libertarian reasons.

If you want to smoke in a private place then please have at it. I have
no desire whatsoever to use the power of the state to stop you.

But, public places are different. We have all sorts of rules to keep
people safe from one another in public places. You can't drive over
the speed limit. Even if you don't actually end up hurting anyone,
it's still against the law to drive too fast, and with good reason. If
you run a restaurant, you have to keep the kitchen clean. Even if no
one gets sick, if your kitchen is out of line, you will be punished by
the state, and with good reason. Why? Because simply putting one at
risk in a public place, even if no actual injury results, infringes on
one's liberties. Smoking puts one at risk. And while it's up to a
smoker to decide for him or herself if that risk is worth it for him
or herself, it's bad civic practice to put other people at that same
risk in a public place.

If you have a private racetrack, you can drive as fast as you want.
Likewise if you have a private room, you can smoke all you want. But I
don't think you should be allowed to smoke in public any more than you
should be allowed to drag race down Forbes Ave.