quittin' smoking

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 11:30:40 EST 2006

On 3/14/06, Jeremy David <epistemology at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to smoke in a private place then please have at it. I have
> no desire whatsoever to use the power of the state to stop you.
>
> But, public places are different. We have all sorts of rules to keep
> people safe from one another in public places.

What you'll end up with, I fear, is many bars and clubs reopening as
"private clubs" in the same workaround many already use to circumvent
more restrictive liquor laws (and often to hide illicit poker
machines).  Do bar/club owners have the right to say that their
establishment is not a "public place"?

I don't ahve a strong opinion on the public smoking subject, but I
feel it's hypocritical that we even keep smoking tobacco (and drinking
alcohol) legal at all when much safer drugs are not.