quittin' smoking

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 14:31:45 EST 2006

> But really, even bringing up the public/private issue is moot. We have
> laws that protect us from the harmful actions of another party that
> are applicable in any space, either public or private. I'm not allowed
> to punch you, even if its its at my house on my private property.

So I shouldn't be allowed to smoke in my house?

> This allows the government
> to be consistent in its application of law and say that punching is
> dangerous and therefore not allowed, unless of course it's done in a
> particular place in a particular way.
> Smoking should be the same way.

Which explains the smoking bans that are already in place. Moreover,
the argument that 'your rights end at the tip of my nose' is not as
strong as you might think it is. The legal tradition accepts that
certain risks are unavoidable yet allowable even if they lead to the
injury and even death of other people.