quittin' smoking

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 22:23:47 EST 2006

No. I don't want to see every little dangerous thing banned. But I
think we can use common sense and say that things that are extremely
dangerous should be at least controlled. We do this with driving.
Driving is very dangerous. It's one of the leading causes of death and
injury. Do I think that it should be banned outright? Of course not.
But I think we're all glad that people are only allowed to drive on
the roads and not through the sidewalks and wantonly fields, and that
they're only allowed to drive at certain speeds and only if they
follow particular rules so that the risk is as minimized as we can
reasonably get it.

And yes, simply walking down the street has a certain danger to it.
Anything *could* happen at any time. But there's a difference between
day to day risk and inhaling chemicals that are known to be deadly.
Cigarette smoke has at least 40 known carcinogens in it. This, I
think, means that it's sufficient risk that it should be controlled in
some way. We have laws to control comparable dangerous chemicals.
You're not allowed to put asbestos in a new building, and old asbestos
gets removed according to certain rules and regulations because it's
dangerous in a very similar way as cigarette smoke. Why does cigarette
smoke get a pass?

I understand that you, like many people, enjoy smoking. Hell, I enjoy
smoking from time to time. But that doesn't mean that I should be
allowed to spray the dangerous smoke from a cigarette anywhere I
please at any time.