tiempo del fumar

Sc'Eric (aka darkFIN) darkfin6012 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 05:44:04 EST 2006

You know Rapier, I used to be just as vehemently on your side as I am  now against.  Too bad smokers had to give me asthma for me to  realise the truth.  As a Libertarian myself, I'll defend personal  freedoms till the cows come home... provided those freedoms bring no  deliberate harm or willful negligence toward others.

  "...Smoking puts one at risk. And while it's up to a
    smoker to decide for him or herself if that risk is worth it for him
    or herself, it's bad civic practice to put other people at that same
    risk in a public place..."  (Adam Rixey)

  The simple truth of the matter is that smoking doesn't just harm the  smoker, it harms everyone--and NOT everyone EQUALLY by any stretch of  the imagination!  (Do the blood vessels deep in your sinuses burst when  you walk behind someone on the street who's smoking?  Do you get polyps in your nose  that need to be painfully removed for your mucous membranes to work  properly?  Do you have to leave the building when someone is smoking in  the next room because you can't breathe?)  When you consider the law of thermodynamics and diffusion, it's quite literally  impossible to contain smoke.

  If smokers love the effects of  tobacco so much, why not just switch to snuff?  (I guess you'll  say  that's like trying to enjoy a stick of incense by shoving it directly  up your  nose.)  Still, I've learned that the hateful words that smokers  speak when we get down and dirty with these types of debates are very  much a  result of their addiction, for they obviously cannot view  the matter logicaly, with an unbiased mind.

  The real crux of the debate (as a legal phenomenon) is whether a  privately-owned business establishment is considered a public space or  not.  That is what gets everyone in a tizzy: business owners feel  they are being told how to run their business.  Folks often don't  realise that they need to clarify their semantics because it changes  the very nature of the debate.

  As for the Beerless Beergoggles... I can't speak from personal  expereince, but it seems to me that "rave" culture has already brought  us the Beerless Beergoggles in the form of Ecstacy.  But, then...  that's illegal.  (O.o)  If gov't officials were really so  concerned about the irregular sleep patterns that result from the use  of E, they'd also put tighter "scheduling constraints" on employers so  folks wouldn't have to work a closing shift one night and then have to  open the next morning.

  ~sc'eric