PGH Downtempo

DennisCraigLee at aol.com DennisCraigLee at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 10:38:46 EST 2006

After mulling it over for about a month, I decided Manny's right -
'downtempo' is a better term than 'trip-hop', for a myriad of reasons. My reluctance to
alter my personal vocabulary had more to do with the hypnotic effect of
routines than with word effectiveness.

  I'm also seeing reasons to describe what my band Blisscraft does as
downtempo rather than trip-hop, even to the ninety percent of the area's people who
have no idea what either term means.

  That said, I also now proclaim Pittsburgh to be the Unofficial Capitol of
Downtempo music. I also proclaim Frederick of Vampire Nation as the unofficial
Godfather (in absentia, courtesy of the PA Dept of Corrections) of our
particular brand of the genre. And Phat Mandee as Queen, though I know that's a
stretch (is there a pun there? I can't tell).

  Am I serious? Let's just say I'm as serious as I ever get, which isn't all
that.

  Who's with me?

evermore,
Dennis