PGH Downtempo -- Good and Evil?

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 13:25:21 EST 2006

On 3/20/06, Deeann M.M. Mikula <deeann at d33ann.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Jeremy David wrote:
>
> > Just because you're more complex than a sea cucumber doesn't mean that
> > you can find some ultimate standard of human behavour.
>
> Well, I think the only "ultimate standard of human behavior" are the
> many variations of that whole "do unto others" deal.

Well, I can certanly think of worse ways to live your life than Do
Unto Others, but that hardly means that Do Unto Others is written on
some cosmic roadsign and is the one true way, which is what words like
Good and Evil imply it is.

> But that's not really what I was going for.  I was just thinking about
> whether people are born good at heart, and go south, or vice versa.  I
> mean, I think every human has a compassion drive, when do we learn
> selfishness, or is that a biological (uhoh) drive, too?

Babies are the most selfish humans around. They want food, shelter,
and attention and offer absolutly nothing in return. Toddlers are just
as bad. Children will lie and steal. I strongly believe that
compassion is the hallmark of a mature soul, not a childish one.