PGH Downtempo -- Good and Evil?

Christopher tm xopher.tm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 13:36:50 EST 2006

On 3/20/06, Jeremy David <epistemology at gmail.com> wrote:

> Babies are the most selfish humans around. They want food, shelter,
> and attention and offer absolutly nothing in return. Toddlers are just
> as bad. Children will lie and steal. I strongly believe that
> compassion is the hallmark of a mature soul, not a childish one.

Compassion is definitely learned, or at least acquired (one hopes).

I think Deann is trying to place altruism as a commodity in the Grand
Scheme. Of course, the Randites (sorry, "Objectivists") will tell you
that altruism is the most selfish and evil thing of all.

Also, there are many variations of "Do Unto Others..." Some of them
quite contradictory.

--
Christopher tm

Nunc est bibendum; nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus.