Ancient Goth (was Re: Docs, Nurses, Attorneys, Music)

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 12:05:19 EST 2006

On 3/23/06, Chris Rapier <rapier1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/23/06, Joseph Presley <jwp7 at pitt.edu> wrote:
>
> > Grand pa, could you tell us stories of the old days? ;>
>
> No, fuck off.

Just so there is no confusion I was just kidding around when I said
"No, fuck off" I was was playing at being the grumpy old guy. I
thought I should get some practice in now you see.

So in compensation I will say impart one story...

A me and friend were walking to his apartment on Beacon street when we
were actually jumped by three kinderskins. They called us faggot
goths. It was really weird because they couldn't hit very hard. I
think they were surprised that we didn't fall over and start crying.
Anyway, we disentangled ourselves and went to get our baseball bats.
We must have been gone for 30 seconds but by that time they had all
run away.

It actually was pretty common to have people either try to pick fights
or actually be scared of us. I think that is what gave the scene its
essential spark - the sense of hostile exclusion from the
'mainstream'. It pushed people closer together and it also helped
create a weird sort of DIY creativity that infused most of the scene.
The commodization of the 'alternative' scenes basically transmogrified
them into something entirely different - not necessarily bad just
different.