Neofolk comps / Neofolk-Freakfolk crossover

Adam Rixey arixey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 13:37:38 EST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 1:28 PM, Brian J. Parker <brian.j.parker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Conversely, the internet makes it way easier to crawl up your own hole,
> too.
>
> An example: in my college days, I would often browse the racks at a
> music store, and occasionally pick up a CD based on the cover art.  I
> ended up listening to some very different music that way.  (Not
> necessarily liking it, but...)  Now, when I want new music, I have
> access to a ton of specialty retailers who can offer me music
> guaranteed to sound very much like the artists I'm already familiar
> with.

That's why I still love going to physical stores and buying physical CDs.
Online download sites like eMusic and iTunes (as well as places to order cds
such as Insound or Strange Fortune) are great when I already know what I'm
looking for.  But if I visit a music store I'm very likely to find and buy
something *I didn't even know I wanted*.  Maybe it's got some awesome cover
art, or it's cheap in the used bin, or it was one of those things in the
back of my mind.    The tactile act of flipping through a big pile of music
and the possibility of an amazing discovery is just such a great experience;
no matter how much technology advances, I'd never want to give it up.

I also have a big problem with the on-demand accessibility that the Internet
allows.  Let's say I'm bored and want to watch a movie -- I could very well
download any film made, ever, either from a legitimate source or with a few
searches on sharing sites.  The problem is, when faced with that prospect, I
can never make up my mind.  Presented with everything, I choose nothing.
The sheer brilliance of Netflix is its forced limitations.  By making me
rank my choices and only giving me a few at a time, I come to decisions and
can be exposed to more than if I had a potentially broader catalog always
available.

--
Adam Rixey
arixey at gmail.com