Neofolk comps / Neofolk-Freakfolk crossover

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:02:05 EST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 1:37 PM, Adam Rixey <arixey at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's why I still love going to physical stores and buying physical CDs.
> Online download sites like eMusic and iTunes (as well as places to order cds
> such as Insound or Strange Fortune) are great when I already know what I'm
> looking for.  But if I visit a music store I'm very likely to find and buy
> something *I didn't even know I wanted*.

That does happen most of the time when I go to Eide's.  Jim almost
always has something I want but didn't even know existed.  Granted
it's almost guaranteed to involve Germans with computers and body
piercings, but I dig what you're saying.

> I also have a big problem with the on-demand accessibility that the Internet
> allows.  Let's say I'm bored and want to watch a movie -- I could very well
> download any film made, ever, either from a legitimate source or with a few
> searches on sharing sites.  The problem is, when faced with that prospect, I
> can never make up my mind.  Presented with everything, I choose nothing.

Not a problem unique to entertainment media... I've read studies about
this, a subject mostly interesting to retailers.  They found that if
you have too many, say, brands of jelly available, many consumers
become exasperated and just don't buy any.  So the wise retailer
limits choice.  (Too little choice is frustrating too-- there's a
"sweet spot.")

For a while, I had recurring nightmares about being in a convenience
store trying to buy a candy bar while impatient friends waited
outside.  Paralyzed by the racks and racks of choices, I agonized as
they angrily honked the car horn.

I may or may not be making this up.