Anything doin' next Monday/Tuesday...?

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 08:57:23 EST 2007

On 3/7/07, Sc'Eric (aka sc'Que) <darkfin6012 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Also... I'd asked at one point about "beer restaurants".   So, D's was the name of the place with the "beer cave" that serves only hot dogs... that's in Regent Square, kinda "northwest" of South Side, right?  (They do only takeout?)   Then, there's Piper's Pub on Carson.  And the Sharp Edge on St.Clair.  And, of course, ChurchBrew.  Did I miss anything?  It's been way too long since I've had a new beer that didn't bore me....

D's has since added a much fuller menu.  Still mostly "pub grub" but
the sandwiches are pretty good and I'm told the "gourmet" pizzas are
excellent.  They've expanded and you can expect to find a table on a
weeknight.  If you want to get a mixed six-pack or two to go, this is
your best bet.  Regent Square is in the northeast part of the city:
you can follow Forbes Avenue through Squill, through the park, and
turn right on Braddock Avenue; or you can take the Edgewood/Swissvale
exit from 376, which will also let you out on Braddock Ave.  Either
way, you end up right next to D's.

Piper's Pub is good for beer (it's nice to expect Belhaven, my
favorite ale, on tap) but much more oriented towards scotch.  Great
kitchen, huge portions (even the salads will stuff you).

I don't go to Sharp Edge often but if you like Belgians (I don't) this
is the place.

Church Brew has gotten kind of frou frou with their fancypants
cuisine.  Yeah, it's nice to have a brewpub, but if you just want
local beer go to the Map Room (next door to D's) and get something
from East End Brewing Company.  Church Brew Works is gonna be more
"impress the out of town visitors with the super cool looking venue
made out of an old church and food that is vertical."