As the Goth turns..

Jeremy epistemology at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 15:27:29 EST 2008

> Western culture itself is pretty much at an impasse and the decline of
> this music reflects it, We went through the periods of Romanticism,
> Modernism and Post-Modernism (all of which are reflected in various
> strains of the goth-industrial scene, as well) and came out the other side
> at Nakayama's "End of History". But it's not really the End of History,
> just the end of the West's history as it proceeds towards creative death.

The idea that interest in "ethic cultures" in music as you put it (as
if mainstream American is not an ethnicity) confirms that Western
culture has developed as far as it can is just some amateurish
ill-informed musicology. Half of the thrill of white America
discovering rock and roll in the 50s was that it was a visit from a
mysterious other culture, black American culture. And before that we
had the Cuban music craze in the US. And before that... well it goes
on and on. Look at the baroque and classical composers writing songs
with names like Hungarian Danse etc. Toying with the sounds and
fashions of foreign cultures is not a sign of the decline of western
civilization. It's a sign that things are pretty much as they've
always been.

Also, his name is Francis Fukuyama, not "Nakayama." If you're going to
cite a famous book at least learn the guy's first name before tell us
that you're the only one "speak authoritatively" on the topic.