THD - "evolution of our decay" album

manny at garfieldartworks.com manny at garfieldartworks.com
Wed Oct 22 17:14:42 EDT 2008

Yeah, I suppose Girl Talk is *doing nothing* by selling out huge venues
worldwide?
Or on a smaller scale, Xanopticon and Michael Johnsen, both of whom have
toured Europe etc.

But I do understand Shawn's sentiment. I think Pittsburgh is much more
*know nothing* than *do nothing*. In other words, there are plenty of
people doing things - opening galleries, doing shows at bars, etc. - but
often 1) they don't know how to collaborate with others or how to promote,
or how to move outside of their little sub-circles and 2) they and their
audiences are ignorant of most music, because they simply don't use the
resources that are already available to them here (like shopping at local
indie record stores, or listening to WRCT, or attending lots of smaller
cool shows, etc) so a lot of local music tends to be inferior
aesthetically because it is, simply put, underinformed.

There are always exceptions to that rule, though, but never nearly enough
to vault Pittsburgh into a noticeable, erudite scene that the world cares
about (except maybe for worldwide crustpunks who worship Aus Rotten).

On the other hand, this underwhelming response to things does allow bands
who do find a worldwide audience (such as Girl Talk, or Modey Lemon, or
even Shawn) to work relatively undisturbed and hone their craft without
having to flit about amongst endless scenester politics etc. in other
words there's a certain comfort (and mystery) in obscurity.

 Some examples? Well, one of the most legendary drum 'n bass artists of
all time had to play a 150-cap polish tavern. that's very pittsburgh. or
two british folksinging legends from the 70s, with about 20 albums out,
had to play a small bar in the east end, and an art gallery in a ghetto.
that's very pittsburgh too. don't you think?