THD - "evolution of our decay" album

manny at garfieldartworks.com manny at garfieldartworks.com
Wed Oct 22 18:40:46 EDT 2008

> Eh. I don't wanna shit on Girl Talk. Like I said. I have an album of
> his. It's fun. But he's not a performing musician by any normal
> definition of the words "performing musician." He gets on stage and
> hits the play button on one of his albums. Then he jumps around like a
> spaz, and people have fun. I have no problem with fun or with Girl
> Talk. I in fact enjoy both Girl Talk and fun. But I do have a problem
> with people trying to say that he's a live musician.

in fact, he hits lots of buttons during his show, using Ableton and such.

> Girl Talk is fun. I have a Girl Talk album. But, I don't know if you
> can call what he does "performing music." Here's a video of Girl Talk
> live http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QZWYHj7fZQ

he plays live music which he created himself. that is definitely
performing music.

also re Christopher:
The last five minutes of my life. Give them back to me.

1) no one forced you to watch all the way thru
2) video has 60,000 more views than any video you've made.
3) seen any laptop electronic performances? if not, you need a better
frame of reference
because gregg's is way more entertaining than most.

> As for listening to WRCT. That's the radio station you were banned
> from, right? Why was that, Manny?

Because two people who didn't like me (one of whom some people on this
list used to know quite well) convinced three others to go along with
them, got together in a room and decided to trump up enough false and/or
highly exaggerated charges to railroad me out of there in a kangaroo court
with no warning. when in fact, i was performing *several* useful volunteer
functions at the time for the station. more useful than some of them were.
they were threatened more by my high-energy, high-profile, multitasking
nature than by anything else. Bannings don't have to happen for a good
reason, they just have to happen because someone has the whim to do it.

But that has nothing to do with being informed about music by listening to
the radio, looking at the internet, and reading the magazines,  none of
which anyone seems to do around here (if they did, they'd be informed). I
have no beef with the aesthetic mission of WRCT (merely those people who
were my unexpected nemeses), it remains as highly recommended as a source
for undiscovered music as it did when i listened to it in high school 25
years ago. how many things can you say that about?