Introduction

manny at garfieldartworks.com manny at garfieldartworks.com
Thu Jan 1 13:46:58 EST 2009

No problem. For the future remember- there is a subgenre of hardcore punk
called "Powerviolence" and the Greensburg-Latrobe area has had some
obsession with it for quite a while (often linking up with the equal
obsession some of the Mr Roboto crowd has with it, as well).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerviolence

I know about the Keynote Cafe - last month I did a CP column on Dropdead
Productions, a promotion company run by 2 high school teens who do some
shows there (there are actually a lot of these young kid promotion
companies using Myspace to build their little show empires- i think it's
cute). What actually intrigued me about Dropdead was that they had the
balls to rent the Irish Center, which hadn't been used for years and even
back in the day was pretty much just the purview of rave promoters. But
along the way I found out a bit more about suburban venues
and how these kids operate their shows deep in the sticks.

And the other day, when I was trying to find a place to relocate a Victory
Records band so I wouldn't have to do a show for them the night of the AFC
Championship, I talked to Jill (Keynote Cafe booker) herself on the phone
- you will rarely find a nicer person. She kind of reminded me of Mama Jo
from Howler's.

But I also know the relative lack of sophistication of the kind of acts
that play far out in the burbs.
These are not kids who read Pitchfork every day. For example, Jill was
talking up some female singer songwriter phenoms who played at the Keynote
recently - these are teenage girls who sound like Alicia Keys or Jewel.
And the dudes all play either in poppy emo with names like Famous Is What
We Want to Be or grindy screamometal bands called And the Ashes Rise
Amidst The Flesh of The Dead or whatever. They know what they see on
Myspace and that's it.

No one's sophisticated enough out there to imitate, say, Sisters of Mercy
or Front 242, etc.
Goth for them is Amy Lee and Rammstein.

-mt