Bunnymen / Warsaw Village Band

manny at garfieldartworks.com manny at garfieldartworks.com
Mon Nov 9 10:10:21 EST 2009

Work visas are not only expensive, they can also be denied for any small
or spurious reasons.
Musicians usually having more drug use in their past than most (hence
possible criminial records for it) that can be one of the problems. And if
one person doesnt' have the paperwork in order for some reason, that can
kill it for the whole group. etc.

Rather than renting all gear, another way an international band can tour
without arousing suspicion is by touring with an American counterpart band
which provides all the backline. I booked several tours in the '90s this
way (for example, Ghost & Magic Hour).

--------

On a similar note, I just brought a great band from overseas that did have
official visas thanks to
invitations from the Polish embassy and so on. (When coming from overseas,
it helps to play ethnic music from your country - they will give you a lot
less shit than they would a rock band).

WARSAW VILLAGE BAND drew 220 people to Synod Hall on Monday night. The
concert was musically fantastic. Despite my having marketed to diverse
audiences (the Calliope folk crowd, the Pandemic indie-hipsters, the
goth/dark cabaret/gypsy/bellydance scene), none of those kinds of people
showed up at all. Instead the concert was supported by almost 180 Polish
people (three generations of them), and a sprinkling of others (most of
whom were Pitt Students from the Pitt Arts ticket buy). So it was a
success. WITHOUT YOU. (unfortunately)

-mt