Bunnymen

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 23:01:19 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Sc'Eric (aka sc'Que?)
<scque at ymail.com> wrote:
> In my tiny world of experience, whenever a European band that I'm interested in seeing decides to tour the States, they get refused for one reason or another.  Seems that unless the band is playing stadium-sized venues or lies about their intent, they have no chance of touring here legally.  And even the latter of those two options can backfire.
>
> Manny, any commentary on that?

That is pretty straightforward: work visas are prohibitively
expensive.  Only a stadium-filling band can make the kind of money to
cover that expense, besides all the other expenses of transporting a
number of people overseas and schlepping them around an unfamiliar
country.

Paperwork and background checks can take on the order of months, too.
Many bands underestimate how long it will take.

When you see a small band from out of the country, they have usually
lied and claimed to be here as a tourist, as you said.  I have heard
of bands that had stateside promoters rent all the gear the need so
they don't have to try to cross the border with it, raising suspicion.
 When it's a couple of guys with a keyboard, a mic, and a backing
track, sometimes they can get away with it.  A medium-sized band just
can't do it.