Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

B beep at telerama.com
Tue Oct 21 11:52:13 EDT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Adam Rixey wrote:

> http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/20031021laga1021p5.asp
>
> Ron is petitioning the city zoning board to buy up the building
> containing Laga, the Attic, and the Upstage so that he can turn them
> into apartments.
>
> One rather curious thing from the article -- where the heck are the 54
> parking spaces for the clubs???

The same place as the "five other retail tenants" in the building, I
guess.  Seriously though-- I infer that he's probably paying some kind of
fee or something so that street/garage parking counts.

I guess I got out of this Night Shift thing just in time, huh?  I hope
they'll talk to Ron and make a post.  I'd heard a few rumors about this
earlier, but they included the notion that The Upstage would stay open.
That would be a relief.  Of course even if they closed, any venue would
love to have our reliable, all-seasons, heavy-drinking crowd.

The only problem is that decent venues (especially all-ages venues) are a
dying breed.  Thanks, UPitt, for driving up Oakland rents while not paying
taxes.  Thanks, archaic drinking laws that make it nearly impossible to
profit off of entertaining people under 21.  And a big, fat, two-fingered
thank you to Pittsburgh government for their ongoing failure to recognize
the importance of Oakland and local universities in their so-called bid to
keep young people in the city.

Dammit, I'm writing a letter to somebody, I just don't know where to
start.

brian j. parker
dj, geek, & black-clad cliche

dj badtz  .  http://blackbadtz.lm.com  .  all that is wrong about music