Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Wed Oct 22 18:05:03 EDT 2003

> > > Hey, maybe Joker will open a club...
> > And that would  help anyone other than Joker, how?
> It would help all the bands he books and all the people who go to his
> shows.
No because if he stopped, many of those bands would play elsewhere here,
either going to Clear Channel or someone smaller than Joker like myself
or Ladyfox etc. In turn, the people who go to those shows would
have to adjust to whatever, they have no choice but to do so.

> he certainly has incentive to help make sure he has a venue. Whether he
> has everything that's necessary to open a venue and whether he would make
> it practical for anyone else to use that venue, is of course, another
> story that probably has a sad ending.
that was what I meant. at Laga, you had to go over Joker's head to Ron to
get a date, and even then sometimes it didn't help because Joker could
stomp on any penciled date he wanted. in a room *totally* controlled by
Joker..well, he would have total control. his nature would prevent almost
any collaborations/alliances that wouldn't make him a lot of money and
clearly benefit him in the long haul.

> Someone must be going to do something, though, right? Perhaps in another
> neighborhood, as you suggested? How can Pittsburgh possibly get by with no
> place for concerts other than arenas and tiny bars? I just can't imagine
> that a vacuum like that could exist for long.
 as I said that article is wrong. Rex, Rosebud, Smalls, Nicks, AMC and
Hard Rock Cafe exist, plus hopefully another one soon. Sure there is a
void in the 500-1500 range but it is not up to any of us to care about
filling it. i should hope that most of us would simply not like most
bands that are that big, since most bands that are that big are simply
not likeable. if clear channel eventually fills that void, then fine.
a bi-polar struggle between CC and the underground would be inspirational
and cut out the grey areas.