Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

Kelly Ashkettle kellya at night-sky.net
Wed Oct 22 18:18:26 EDT 2003

> No because if he stopped, many of those bands would play elsewhere here,
> either going to Clear Channel or someone smaller than Joker like myself
> or Ladyfox etc. In turn, the people who go to those shows would
> have to adjust to whatever, they have no choice but to do so.

Who is Ladyfox?  :-)

> that was what I meant. at Laga, you had to go over Joker's head to Ron to
> get a date, and even then sometimes it didn't help because Joker could
> stomp on any penciled date he wanted. in a room *totally* controlled by
> Joker..well, he would have total control. his nature would prevent almost
> any collaborations/alliances that wouldn't make him a lot of money and
> clearly benefit him in the long haul.

*nod*

> as I said that article is wrong. Rex, Rosebud, Smalls, Nicks, AMC and
> Hard Rock Cafe exist, plus hopefully another one soon.

If Rosebud is still open, that is good, because it can be a dance club as
well as a concert hall. And The Rex can be all ages. So it's not sooo
bad...but there would still be a void. Especially where decent-sized,
alternative, 18+ dance clubs are concerned.

> Sure there is a void in the 500-1500 range but it is not up to any of us
> to care about filling it. i should hope that most of us would simply not
> like most bands that are that big, since most bands that are that big
> are simply not likeable.

I'll leave it to others to argue this point.

> if clear channel eventually fills that void, then fine. a bi-polar
> struggle between CC and the underground would be inspirational and cut
> out the grey areas.

Hm. Clear Channel doing 500-1500 person shows?
Yeah, that would probably be okay, I think.
If they can find a place to have them.

--K