RIP Elliott Smith

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Thu Oct 23 16:32:19 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Joey wrote:

> I finally made it to pgh around 10:45 and we drove by quiet storm.. if it
> was the place (blue neon outside) it looked dead.. maybe 2 people inside.
pretty close, yes. so? you don't stop by a place if there's not a crowd?
especially since i said i would definitely be there, and i was, for 5
hours. not even to say hi for five minutes, or whatever. lame!

> there's a big population difference between our two cities, but I was really
> surprised by the low number of people out on the streets.  (especially so
> near a college campus)
there is never anyone out on the streets, other than on weekends, and even
then, only in select areas. but what is the big deal? bars like 31st st
pub and gooski's and smiling moose don't rely on random walkup. they are a
destination,either within a neighborhood or across neighborhoods. neither
does ceremony at the upstage. it is a destination too, on which people
converge.

> Like all cities I'm sure there are 'spots' that are busier then others and a
> Tuesday night isn't a big party night for anyone other then students and bar
> workers.
 it was a wednesday. nobody parties on wednesday period not even students
or bar workers afaik.

> I wasn't really thrilled with the Penn ave. area..  like you said.. maybe
> that area will be hot in 10 years when some money finally makes its way
> there.  I could see picking up space there cheap though.
you need to be one of the first not one of the last, and have some vision.
you  could buy (and even live in) a whole building on penn for half what
 it would cost to even *open* a business in an overdeveloped area.

> the south side area was decent.. but the lack of foot traffic of course is
> scary.
the south side is already oversaturated.