fish heads (was RE: the night shift/ceremony/livejournal)

B beep at telerama.com
Mon Sep 29 17:16:50 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 manny at telerama.com wrote:

> in order to ground your turntable properly it should be connected to
> the grounding screw on the back of the mixer. otherwise as you said
> the grounding is probably ghetto and unreliable.

Since you're interested:

At the time Dee mentioned, I didn't have any decent wire for grounding, so
I grabbed some old phone wire or something and stripped it using my swiss
army knife.  I then wrapped the exposed copper around the grounding screws
of the (consumer grade) turntable and my mixer.  It would slip off if I
wasn't careful.  (Folks who remember "Buzz" at The Pollinator may recall
my frequent sound problems.)  Ghetto.  I was a dumb(er) kid then.

> if you use a combo mixer/CD player (which I assume you do) then that
> kind of setup, which assumes *no* vinyl anyway, probably *has* no
> grounding screw in the back.

At the time, yes, I did; but it had a grounding screw.  The Strand's
current house system is a low-end combo unit, too, and also has grounding
screws.

I drag in my own system on nights that I'm DJing, which includes a proper
mixer.  Not that it matters, but since we're on the subject, the gearheads
on the list might care.  The house system as a Numark CD Mix-1.  My own
system is a Numark CDN-88 player/mixer and a Gemini KL-19 Pro mixer-- not
premium gear, but plenty for a dilettante such as myself who can't justify
four digits.  I also have a Korg Kaoss Pad but rarely bring it in; I get
enough complaints about beatmixing, were I to use effects some of the
patrons would shit themselves in their fury.

brian j. parker
dj, geek, & black-clad cliche

dj badtz  .  <http://blackbadtz.lm.com>  .  all that is wrong about music