rock club question

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Sat Dec 4 13:43:27 EST 2004

> Sold out? Of course they did! Are serious? Every band wants to make it big.
> IN other words, every band wants to "sell out" and play large arenas.
Not necessarily.

Few fans care about what the band stands for.
which is too bad, see below

> people do not care. And as I said, if the political stance is such a big
> deal start working to remove all companies supporting the right-wing from
> your use, not just one you have some issue with.
i think i'm doing rather good on that accord

> I am not trying to defend CC at all. But I think you are seriously allowing
> your hipsterness to taint your thoughts. I really think your problem is a
> lot of the bands you knew to be cool gained mainstream appeal and this is
> pissing you off. They are no longer underground or in your scene, so they
> are all sell outs. You cannot seem to allow yourself to like a band once
> they go big.
no, the point is not that the bands are going big.
the point is that these bands are RIGHT NOW espousing left wing views
while consorting with the right wing. i did not necessarily personally
 have a jones for Yo La Tengo, Le Tigre, Ministry or Steve Earle at any
point in time. I am pointing out that they are CURRENTLY being hypocrites.

> wants to by all means do so. Just do not expect people to just do something
> because you said so. Which is something you do a lot Manny.
I'm not expecting tons of people to do it. I just would like you to think
about it. If you think about it maybe you will be inspired to see the
hypocrisy for what it is instead of just passing it by. go up to Alan
Jourgensen at a show and ask him point blank if he hates 'the wrong of the
right' so much why is he getting paid by Clear Channel. ask Kathleen
Hanna if her whole ethic is about DIY and women doing it for themselves
(riot grrl from the beginning was the first strong female part of the punk
movement) then why is she getting paid by Clear Channel.

> Brian, about the Dixie Chicks - fans walked out of show, and thousands of
> right-wing fans sent letters to the promoter, label and various other places
> causing a conflict between the band, label and CC. This lead to them not
> being aired by certain stations.
right, that's called a fan boycott by right wing fans. Bush mobilized
these kinds of people to help him with the election.
why should a boycott be successful, or at least make an impact, when it
it's done by the right wing, but not by the left?