The Rapture, (was: The World is closing)

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Thu Jul 1 21:22:15 EDT 2004

I am not surprised that there is a 3rd band called The Rapture (other than
the Swedish metal band, and the NYC one Tamara was *actually* referring
to). But yes your shut-in-ness reaches legendary heights.

The Rapture were, and are, one of the biggest hyped Williamsburg
Brooklyn 'dancepunk' bands from that scene. They have played here
3 times (one show at Millvale Industrial Theater thru me, one show
at PHA thru WPTS, one show at The Rex thru me). I think all or most
of these shows were listed on pghgoth.com and announced on the gothlist.
They were on Sub Pop and are now on a major. Their "House of Jealous
Lovers" was the second-hottest danceclub single in NYC two
years ago after Fischerspooner's "Emerge". They appeared on Carson Daly
earlier this year, which was rerun a couple more times. Written up in
every single magazine including Spin, AP, and, yes, Outburn.

I think if Ceremony (or for that matter, any regular club night here,
including EZ Lou's) were actually true to 80s-type sounds, The Rapture
and other new revivalist bands similiar to them (i.e. bands that sound
like Gang of Four, A Certain Ratio, etc) would be much better known here
and you wouldn't be asking that question. Hang the DJ.

BTW The Aug 5 show, if it still happens here, is with Mogwai.