local electronic acts, an example

manny@telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Tue Feb 21 21:22:30 EST 2006

>> Not that I'm knocking the various club nights. It's just that there's been
> how many IDM / experimental shows in Pittsburgh? We seem to have quite a few
> local acts that fall under that category.

Pittsburgh hosts one of only three major sites in the world that emphasize
'breakcore' (Rhinoplex.org. Widerstand in Austria and C8 in the UK are the
other two big ones). It's run by Dave Crimm, aka the IDM artist 8 Cylinder.
That site also hosts the main American distributor
of breakcore (and much other IDM & electro etc that isn't picked up by large
store distros) - Wrecked, based in Pittsburgh and run by Geoff Maddock, aka DJ
Cutups. This site also hosts artist websites for such locals as Syne Lapse
Variate (aka Jason Clinton, ex-Parvulus Infectus), Xanopticon (recording artist
for Germany's Hymen and France's Peaceoff labels), Shatterbreak, Prometheus
Burning (Pgh's new powernoise duo) and others.

People, here's what going on:
About five years ago, some people in the goth scene, or that had been previously
influenced by the likes of 242 or Puppy, got tired of your boring
thudthud music and discovered noise and IDM. Today there are a bunch of
'post-goths' (as I like to call them, a play on the term 'post-rock') making
electronic music in Pittsburgh. They represented about half of the IDM artists
on CIRCUITS OF STEEL in 2002 and they still do today. I have so many
contributions from local live-electronic artists at this point that I probably
won't be able to hold them all on CIRCUITS OF STEEL II when that is ready.

If you don't know this, or haven't gone to see these locals play, you are five
years behind, and need to catch up. I am currently working on an article about
JAGOFF UPRISING, the double vinyl compilation on Thaco Records (founded by Crimm
and Maddock), 2 years in the making, which is about to celebrate a release show
at Z Lounge on Sat Mar 4. Yes I know it's a bar and under-21s can't come. That
was their choice, not mine - I would have chosen differently venuewise. But if
you are over 21, my advice would be to go there that night. It's going to be
crazy and much more fun than the usual dance night.

And you should also check out the Prefuse @ CMU and Flashbulb @ GA shows - more
local electronic artists (Girl Talk, Xanopticon, and Dreg_n) are featured at
those.