Philly, DC or Toronto?

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:35:20 EDT 2006

> DC is only about a four hour drive from Pittsburgh (or State College,
> for that matter), whereas both Philly and Toronto are more like five
> hours.  And I'd prefer to navigate DC, with its (admittedly somewhat
> flawed, but still functional) grid system, over either of those cities
> any day.

You do know that Philly is based on a grid system as well, right? It
even predates the DC system. The only diagonal streets are the Ben
Franklin Parkway and Passyunk Avenue and they don't really get in the
way of Center City proper. Since the grid is made up of alternating
one way streets its even easier. I've honestly found Philly to be the
easiest city to navigate in of all the cities I've had to drive in
(which is quite a lot). And yes, Philly is bigger than DC if you
include North Philly, West Philly, and South Philly.

You might include North Philly out to maybe Girard or even Temple but
no further. South Philly would be included down to Columbus. West
Philly... Maybe a couple blocks past Penn but thats about it. The
heart of the city, and where all the shows and clubs are, is much more
compact than DC.