Antony (was Re: Neofolk comps / Neofolk-Freakfolk crossover)

Danielle Biconik daniellebiconik at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 01:49:43 EST 2007

for example, the same mid-size indie-oriented booking agency that
handles famed freak-harpist Joanna Newsom also handles Current 93 and
Nurse With Wound (as well as Neubauten and Nick Cave). another booking
agency books both freak-folk star Devendra Banhart and Kid Congo Powers
(Gun Club, Bad Seeds). you might want to look into cabaret-folk icons
Antony & the Johnsons after knowing that C93's Durtro put out their
first CD, and then check out their other ones on the Secretly Canadian
label. magazines like The Wire and Arthur cover both David Tibet and
Whitehouse and folkies like My Brightest Diamond and Vashti Bunyan.
Staunch indie label Drag City is about to release a CD for
folksinger/harpist Baby Dee, who's played on stage with both C93 and
PTV. And so on.

I fell in love with Antony and the Johnsons a year in a half ago.   Antony's voice has a way to evoke emotion like few others (think of a gender ambiguious person channeling Nina Simone)- plus the whole androgynous/gender trascending thing appeals to my inner pomo queer girl.  Add in instrumentations by the likes of former Rasputina Cellist Julia Kent and collaborations with C93, Lou Reed, Bjork, and Rufus Wainwright - How can one not be smitten?

  If you want to hear a good mix of neofolk-like stuff, I'd just make a Pandora station (pandora.com)  based on some key neofolk artists and see what it comes up with.   That's been my recent way to hear new stuff (and new-to-me stuff). Also, there is always brainwashed.com's net radio station.

  -Danielle