Smoking At Ceremony?

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Wed May 2 15:01:09 EDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Brian J. Parker <brian.j.parker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Jeremy David <epistemology at gmail.com> wrote:
> > However, the issue gets a little hazy when you view it from the
> > perspective that international tobacco companies have a de facto
> > monopoly on entertainment locations. And we have special rules about
> > monopolies.
> >
> > And it also gets hazy from a personal rights issue. The old "Your
> > right to swing your arm ends at my nose." applies to cigarettes too, I
> > think.
>
> This isn't really about Pegasus in particular, then, I don't think;
> it's about whether or not there should be a smoking ban.  If there
> isn't a smoking ban, then it is almost impossible for a bar to survive
> without allowing smoking, so Pegasus has little choice.  So rather
> than asking the goth list, we need to ask our Allegheny County
> legislators, or at least Common Pleas Judge Michael A. Della Vecchia.

Yeah, we changed the topic a little. My original intent was just to
figure out if I wanted to go to Ceremony or not.

But anyway, since you brought it up, I have to rebut. You said that
it's impossible for a bar to survive without allowing smoking. Here's
a list of examples which proves otherwise.

http://www.nosmokedining.org/listings.htm

> Anybody who thinks voting doesn't matter: it's very easy for a small
> number of people to swing local elections.  If you live in Allegheny
> County and are 18, these are your representatives.

Agreed. I once dumped a girl because she didn't vote. Voting is sexy.
As long as you're voting for the right people.

 - Jeremy