anyone into 2nd-wave postrock?

Manny manny at garfieldartworks.com
Thu Nov 22 15:18:57 EST 2007

Let's start a discussion.

I  just listened to the tracks on the myspace page of the band This
Will Destroy You (from Texas) and it got me thinking.

Who thinks that the current crop of "second-wave postrock" is the best
current example of the same kind of shimmery ambient goodness effect
that the wave of both shoegaze and ethereal-goth bands did in the '90s?

I'm speaking of the likes of stuff like Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky,
Mono, Unwed Sailor, and the stable of bands on labels like Temporary
Residence, plus lesser known acts (there are at least five local bands
doing this in the Pittsburgh area).

Do you hear any beauty in the contemplative darkness of this music,
even though it's not postpunk, it doesn't usually have any vocals (let
alone spooky or angelic sounding ones), it doesn't have a dance beat,
and the players basically look like (and are) indie rockers?

-MT